Lottoland uses cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to their use. More about cookies

16 March 2016

The People Behind The Game

Lottery Demographics

The lottery has become a huge part of English culture since its launch in 1994, and a part of our history for far longer than that. But who, exactly, takes part? We've combed the internet for the facts and figures behind those weekly lottery draws to find out...

Lottery Demographics

Note: these are statistics for the main draws, not for betting online with Lottoland using one of our betslips.

How Many People Do The lottery?

It turns out a staggering 70% of the UK's over 18s take part in the national lottery on a regular basis, which is close to 45 million people. (That's about the same amount of people that live in Ukraine.)

On top of that at least 50% of the overall population do more than once a month, and on average they buy a minimum of 3 tickets each week.  

January 6th, 1996 saw the very first double rollover in the United Kingdom, prompting a staggering 86% of the population of Britain to dash out to buy a ticket!

In fact the lottery is so popular in the UK that even our dear old Queen has had a go, and banked £10 on the very first lotto draw. Leading to host of happy headline writers who could run with "One's Won" the following day.

Lottery Demographics

The demographic of lottery participants is far broader than one might expect.

For starters it is an even split between men and women, at least in the United Kingdom.

Of 18 to 25 year olds, roughly 1/6 of this age range do the lottery at least once a month. Between the ages of 25 and 34 around 1/3 buy a ticket, while half of over 35s partake in a lottery draw at some point during any given month.

Studies have shown that if you are upper and middle class, you are less likely to partake in a lotto draw than someone who is working class.

And finally… people on benefits are 4% more likely to buy a ticket than those who are not.


Just under 1/4 of British citizens buy a scratchcard at least once a month, while over 50% buy one at least once in a calendar year.

When it comes to age groups, 55-64 year olds were the most likely to purchase a scratchcard, with 31% of that age range picking up at least one a month.

What Happens After You Win?

85% of lottery winners never reveal their identity, which means we are unable to account for a vast proportion of them. However, we do know that over 90% of winners continue to buy tickets even after they have won.

And 70% of them are convinced they will win again. What motivates the other 30% is unknown.

…and The Bonus Fact

Over 10,000 people use the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 every week, meaning if they were to be drawn, a jackpot of 5 million would pay each member just £500.


57% of the American population, 181 million people, buys at least one lottery ticket in a year. Unlike in the UK, American men are more likely than American women to pick up a ticket, especially if they don't live alone, as findings reveal single Americans spend less on the lottery than people with partners or families 

In the states, 30-64 year olds are the demographic that purchases the most lottery tickets, while participants aged 50-64 spend the most per week, an average of $6.72.

If you're 18-29, or over 65, you are statistically less likely to buy more than one ticket.

Talking of money, if your income is between £30,000 and £50,000 you are in the demographic of Americans that buys tickets for lotto draws the most often.

In the run up to the mega $1 billion PowerBall draw, 1 and a half tickets were sold for every resident of the state of California. The draw was eventually won by Florida resident Gloria MacKenzie.

So, it doesn't matter if you're young or old, rich or poor, you won't want to miss this week's EuroMillions jackpot, which has soared to £38 million. You can bet on the outcome here at Lottoland and be in with a chance of winning all the same prizes!


The lottery is so much more than a weekly draw, behind every game is a wealth of amazing stories and fascinating facts, and that's why I love it.

Register now to bet on the world's biggest lotteries

It is important to put your registered postal address in the correct fields when you enter your UK address.

It is an offence to gamble if under age.

Date of birth
By creating a new account I accept the terms and conditions, the privacy policy and confirm that I am over 18 years of age.
It is an offence to gamble if under age.
live chat software